Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Everybody Needs a Sam (Gizem)

You know that great scene in Lord of the Rings, where Frodo is too weak to walk and carry the ring, then Samwise Gamgee fearlessly declares: I may not be able to carry the ring; but I can carry you! According to Arzu we all need a Sam. I believe her, but I think it’s so funny when she says it; because I know that she is a Sam kind of a friend. Actually both of my roommates are. I’m the one who tends to like the flash and pizazz, and being out front. But without Sam, Frodo only gets to see the finish line, but not cross over. I’m glad for friends like Sam, and Arzu and Zeynep who carry me when I can’t walk. Even more though, I want to grow in being a Sam like friend. Sam doesn’t care about the glory or fame, but he’s willing to do what it takes to help Frodo regardless of the cost to himself. Here’s to friends like Sam, and that we all aspire to be Sam like friends!

No comments: